Holding on Loosely - An Old Lesson from Chuck Swindoll

Someone asked me about a very cherished item and wondered whether or not God would allow her to take it to heaven. I wondered for a moment. Then I remembered something Chuck Swindoll once said. It went as follows...
Shortly before her death, Corrie ten Boom attended our church in Southern California. Following the worship service, I met briefly with her, anxious to express my wife's and my love and respect for her faithful example. She inquired about my family . . . how many children, their ages—that sort of thing. She detected my great love for each one and very tenderly admonished me to be careful not to hold on to them too tightly. Cupping her wrinkled hands in front of me, she passed on a statement of advice I'll never forget. I can still recall that strong Dutch accent: "Pastor Svendahl, you must learn to hold everyting loosely . . . everyting. Even your dear family. Why? Because da Fater may vish to take vun of tem back to Himself, und ven He does, it vill hurt you if He must pry your fingers loose." And then, having tightened her hands together while saying all that, she slowly opened them and smiled so kindly as she added, "Vemember . . . hold everyting loosely. . . everyting." In the back of my mind I can still hear her words.
Since our Lord is sovereign, not only are our times in His hands, so are all our possessions and all the people we love. Releasing our rights to Him includes the deliberate releasing of our grip on everything and everyone. Easy? Never. | Holding on Loosely - Insight for Living Ministries 
I this is a fine exposition of Mark 8:34 ~ "If anyone wishes to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me."

The Heavenly Father knows us all. If there is something He thinks will serve us well in the billions and trillions of years in heaven, nay all of eternity, then so be it. But all things must be held loosely, with cupped hands, as the Lord may see fit to receive them back.

~ WGN

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grappling with the Craziness of an Election Year with the Book of Kings

The Good Thing About God and Judgment